Tuesday 22 December 2015

Bodhidharma Speaks ...

Text no 3: First Letter
From the Bodhidharma Anthology, this text is popularly attributed to Bodhidharma but is technically by an anonymous author.

I have always admired the former wise ones. I have broadly cultivated all the practices. I have always esteemed the Pure Lands of the Buddhas and looked up to the teachings that have come down to us as a thirsty man longs for water. Those who have been able to meet Sakyamuni Buddha and realize the great path are in the millions; those who have obtained the four fruits are numberless. I really thought that the heavenly mansions were another country and the hells another place, that is one were to attain the path and get the fruit, one’s bodily form would change. I unrolled sutra scrolls to seek blessings; through pure practice I [tried to produce karmic] causes. In confusion I went around in circles, chasing my mind and creating karma; this I passed many years without the leisure to take a rest. Then for the first time I dwelled upright in dark quiescence and settles external objects in the kingdom of mind. However, I had been cultivating false thought for such a long time that my feelings led me to continue to see characteristics. I came to the point where I wanted to probe the difficulties inherent in these illusionary transformations. In the end I clearly apprehended the Dharma Nature and engaged in a course practice of Thusness. For the first time I realized that within the square inch of my own mind there is nothing that does not exist. The bright pearl comprehends clearly and darkly penetrated the deep tendency of things. From the Buddhas above to the wriggling insects below there is nothing that is not another name for false thought. There are calculations of thought. And so I have given written expression to my dark musings. Moreover, I will reveal the Verses on Devices for Entering the Path [Ju-tao fang-pien chi], to be used as an admonition to those who have the conditions for the same type of awakening. If you have time, unroll and read it:

Through cross-legged sitting dhyana, in the end you will necessarily see the Original Nature.
Inevitability you will fuse and purify mind.
If for a split second [thought] arises, [you will be in the conditioned realm of] arising and extinguishing.
In the midst [of birth and death], to remember thoughts is [like a Buddhist aspirant] engaging in an improper means of livelihood.

You may search for Dharma and surmise various things, but your karma will not be changed.
Given revolving and increasing defilement, mind finds it difficult to reach the ultimate.
The wise one, upon suddenly hearing the eight characters, awakens to the principle.
He realizes for the first time that his six years of ascetic activity were in vain.

All over the world, everywhere, are people of the Evil One
Who clamor in vain and engage in meaningless arguments.
Making false explanations, they teach sentient beings.
Talking about remedies, they cure not one disease.

Things have always been in a state of quiescence and there has never existed a perceiving subject.
How could there be good and evil, false and correct?
Even arising is no-arising; even extinguishing is no-extinguishing.
Moving is no-moving; concentration is no-concentration.

Text no 4: Second Letter
From the Bodhidharma Anthology, this text is popularly attributed to Bodhidharma but is technically by an anonymous author.

Shadows arise from bodily forms; echoes follow upon voices. Some play with their shadows to the point of tiring their bodies, not realizing that their bodies are the shadows. Some raise their voices to stop the echoes, not realizing that the voice is the source of the echo. Searching for nirvana by eliminating the defilements is like searching for the shadow by getting rid of the body. Seeking for Buddhahood by rejecting sentient beings is like seeking for the echo by silencing the voice. Therefore, we know that delusion and awakening are one road, that stupidity and wisdom are not different. In a place of namelessness they mistakenly think of erecting names, and because of these names, is and is-not are born. In a place without principles they mistakenly think of creating principles, and because of these principles, disputations flourish therein. Illusionary transformations are not real, so who is right and who is wrong? Falsity is unreal, so what exists and what does not exist? One should know that obtaining is having nothing to obtain and losing is having nothing to lose. Having not yet been able to talk with you, I have composed these lines, but how can one discuss the dark purport?



The above is from a book of early Zen records - and supposedly written by the near mythical Bodhidharma himself.
I typed out the text myself to help me understand it and make it a part of my everyday life. I found the above to be the most moving in the book. I am still in awe at how much strength, clarity and humanising honesty the author was able to use in such short pieces of text.

While typing out the above on a warm day, I felt the spiritual and physical longing of the thirsty for cool water and I mindfully sipped in between typing. I am also hearted to know that even in some of the pitfalls of the Buddhist path that I am not alone.

Thank you to all those who struggled and suffered while helping me along my way so I may sit here out of the harsh sun, with water to cool my belly and time to enjoy such sentimental text. I hope I do not dally when I am able to help others along their various paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment