Friday 11 December 2015

Quick Links + Updates - Week ending 11/12/2015

This week:

I have been busy with my first attempt to celebrate Rohatsu. I have previously forgotten to check when it is, only to end up missing it - this year I noticed early enough to try to make it a part of my life. It was a very moving time for me, and they may be some shareable writing coming out of that - so keep your eyes peeled!


I have also started to read the Dalai Lama's The Art of Happiness again. Each time I read this wonderful book, I take something new away from it. Most recently I was noticing how Howard C Cutler describes the presence and actions of His Holiness, the Dalai Lama. I have read the text enough to have an idea of what will be said and the topics within so because of that I am noticing the comments on how His Holiness conducts himself, smiles or even seems uneasy or confused by the questions and discussion topics presented.
While His Holiness is a "simple monk", I am taken aback at how inquisitive, yet calming and casual he seems to be - also his patience while being a busy person and dealing with a western and (at least) cultural Christian's perspective on Tibetan Buddhism and monastic vocations in general, is a patience I would like to have one day.
His Holiness, the Dalai Lama's respect, generosity, equanimity and calm has even been remarked upon by those who tested it - it is claimed that Chairman Mao was unnerved at the His Holiness seemingly good nature after he told His Holiness, to his face that "religion is a poison".


Here, in a feature I hope to help me share more of the things I have found useful from the internet (as well as entertain): a playlist of 5 tracks I have found, think are fun and share a vague (sometimes very vague) Buddhist theme.

So until next week(?):
Same lazy time!
Same Buddhist channel!

No comments:

Post a Comment