Friday 4 December 2015

Quick Links - Week ending 4/12/2015



Welcome in what I hope to do more regularly - a list of quick links and interesting things to share.

This time there is:
  • Listen to the Soil: A meditator's experiences at Auschwitz
  • Sinfest - a religious webcomic (with the Buddha as a character)
  • the Lotus Sutra Song

  • And now (more) Jeff Bridges:
    "Everyone I meet is in my sangha. I don't know if that's the proper definition, but that's the way I'm going to hold it in my mind."


    Listen to the Soil: A meditator's experiences at Auschwitz


    "Listen to the soil. Let Auschwitz be your teacher." - these words greeted a meditator, raised in an Orthodox Jewish tradition, at the place where the carriers of her culture and cultural identity wept and gnashed their teeth at the hands of those who sought to make all that she was less than a memory.

    "For my grandparents, Auschwitz represented more than the place; it was the symbol of the Nazi annihilation of nearly half of Europe's Jews - from six to eleven million - inconceivable numbers of mothers and fathers, daughters and sons gone. Auschwitz also seeded in my grandparents a fear and hate so visceral and terrifying that it seemed to shape every encounter of their lives, including their relationship with me. I saw how my parents carried that inherited fear and hate like an heirloom, and how they lived with it and defined themselves by it and painfully struggled against my anxious longing to unshackle from it.

    And I saw in myself how, even though I didn't want it - how desperately I didn't want it - I claimed that same fear and hate I saw in my grandparents and parents and brought it into me. It didn't matter that I wanted so much to reject those stories and seeds, and that I ran away in the thousand ways I could find to run away-still, I became their carrier."

    Sounds like an interesting series of posts to keep a watch out for.
    [Retrieved from: https://www.upaya.org/2015/11/listening-to-the-soil-reflections-on-bearing-witness-at-auschwitz-berkenau-part-one]

    Sinfest - a religious webcomic


    Sinfest is an interesting web comic that is based around questions of religious ethics and how they interact with everyday life, the Buddha is an occasional character (an incomplete list of his appearances can be found here.


    the Lotus Sutra Song



    A sparkling version of "Our Hero"/the Lotus Sutra Song. The creators have more information about it at their website dharmacowboys.com. You have to respect anyone who can slip the word "hegemony" into such an upbeat song.
    Also, the chorus has some pleasant words to recall:

    "I would never disparage you or keep you at arm's length
    Where you only see your weaknesses, I only see your strength
    I would never despise you or put you down in any way
    Because it's clear to me
    I can plainly see
    You'll be a buddha someday
    I love you."

    For more about Bodhisattva Never Disparaging and how to use his example from verse 20 of the Lotus Sutra to enrich your everyday life, I find Open Gate Zen's page to be a good resource.

    And finally a word from Master Dogen:

    No comments:

    Post a Comment